Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March 25, 2009

I finaly got the internet going at my grandnmothers house. After Fairpoint sent a new motem it was very easy. I was in the Sergeant at Arms office again today as I will be for the rest of the week. There was a joint session this morning where they discussed reappointing three superior judges and one district judge and because we do not deliver messages during those sessions teh rest of teh pages and i were invited to sit in on the procedings. This afternoon Gov. Douglas annouced, as I'm sure you saw on the news, that he plans to veto the Freedom to Marry bill (same-sex marraige bill) if it reaches his desk to be signed into law. This means that the pressure is on the house because in order to over ride the Gov's veto they need a two thirds vote (yes). Most people, both for and against the bill predict that it will pass in the house but the main question is ; Will it be by enough to override the Gov's veto? The House should be voting on the bill next week, and I am in the House all week next week, so I might get to witness history. Next week is also my last week at the state house so if they don't vote on it then I will be on the outside looking in, just as you guys are now. Thats it for today,
Jeff

2 comments:

Mrs. Levy said...

Jeff,
Thanks so much for the bird's eye view of the proceedings. Whether you're there for the final vote or not, I'm sure this is something you'll remember. In the article about Gov. Douglass' announcement in today's Burlington Free Press there was mention of some controversy over his having stepped outside the usual process by announcing his veto before the House vote. Have you heard much about this?
I look forward to checking in tonight to learn what you've seen today.
You're becoming quite a good reporter; you always get the main idea and then supply your readers with good, substantive details.
Keep up the good work, Jeff!

Sarah said...

yeah, this sort of stuff is so much more interesting than what they put in the newspaper. lots more inside coverage.